Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Registry Watcher

From: m.garg () tcs com
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 05:37:48 +0530

full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com wrote on 05/09/2004 04:30:57 AM:

Hi,

Any programs out there that "watches" changes to registry and can give
an
alert?

My intention for this is only because of my limited knowledge of the
windows
registry. As I understand, no processes, applications, programs run with
out
entries in to the registry.

this is not true. You need not touch registry to run any program. Programs
generally keep their config info in the registry.

This it seems includes virus and Trojan installations. There are the
common
entries that belong in the registry that
the common installation inserts and all programs have values that must
be
inserted. If a "watcher" would have a data base to follow and any odd or
uncommon entries could be flagged. As far as I know all newly found
viruses
insert registry entries and these could be placed in a data base that
would
cause registry to deny and flag.

viruses generally attack registry first because most of the application
including
os use registry for running properly.. so registry is the favorite target.
but
a virus can do much harm without changing registry also.

Wouldn't this in a sense be a firewall and
virus protection method or am I really off base in my understanding. I
know
that such use is used by AdWatch and other types of tools but I have
never
seen anything mention for protection against backdoors, Trojans and
viruses.
If such a program does not exist I'd appreciate any input on building
one.

thank you

Randall M

cheers,