Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Learn from history?

From: <full-disclosure () nym hush com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:27:25 -0700

1. Keep informed.
Sure. I'll inform all my 300 customers MS release a bug today,
and I'll drop by to all of them to patch tomorrow.

"You" is implied in that statement.

2. Install patches as soon as possible
That would involve runnning Windows Automated Update every night
automagically...

1.  Microsoft already provides that feature
2.  As soon as possible for "you"

2. If a patch cannot be installed, find workarounds
That does not work with the workarounds customer need to facilitate
life (security <> easy of use, remember)

And the computers/networks will be so easy to use when lines are saturated,
 file systems are corrupted or data are stolen

3. If it is a port-related threat, find out if such ports are
in use, and if not, make sure they are closed.
Once the virus is on the LAN it can do whatever it wants.

Hello!  Block the ports BEFORE they hit the LAN.  Proactive security.
Also, do us a favor and don't propogate the shit!

Some of the comments overheard this week regarding Sasser:
I did propose some firewall, but they feel it's too much EUREUREUREUR

And you provided some sort of analysis showing potential losses due to
the lack of a security infrastructure, right?

Will they learn from history? Only history will tell.
I'm pretty sure they won't. Even most tech guys don't have a clue.

Evidently, thanks for your example.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html