Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: I'm looking for information about a file called winfix3.exe

From: "J. Theriault" <administrator () maginetworks com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 18:57:52 +0200

Stacey Katz wrote:

Hi,

I hope you can help. I'm looking for information about a file called winfix3.exe

We have tried Mcafee, Norton and AdAware to try to find the potential virus or piece of malware.

I have tried google. There is not much information out there.

The application seems to start with windows via a reg setting. It generates lots of network traffic.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Stacey

Stacey,

By searching google, it seems to be a virus; But the information found through Google is that the virus is named "Randex.Gen" and that Norton can detect it.

  (This information is from
http://www.mcse.ms/archive118-2004-4-618750.html)

The Symantec page for Randex.Gen is here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.randex.gen.html

Since your version of Norton does not seem to detect a virus, perhaps you should upload the file to AVERT WebImmune https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp for a full analysis.