Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSL - dynamically linked binaries?

From: "Bram Matthys (Syzop)" <syzop () vulnscan org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:06:38 +0100

Honza Vlach wrote:
I have checked apache mod_ssl and php module, which are both dynamically
linked to the libssl.so.0.9.7. The thing, that confuses me lot is, when I
look on the phpinfo(), it says "OpenSSL version 0.9.7c", which it
was compiled against.
Does this mean, that I'm still vulnerable, or it is just version
hardcoded to the binary, while the library itself was sucessfully
reloaded?

The latter...
The thing is that OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT is used to display the
openssl version (AFAIK there's no alternative method):
    php_info_print_table_row(2, "OpenSSL Version", OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT);

OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT is defined in one of the openssl header files
(opensslv.h) and is a string constant, thus compiled in.

So if ldd shows it's using that lib (you could even lsof it at runtime
to be sure) then you should be ok.

        Bram Matthys.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html