Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [inbox] malware added in transit

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:44:11 -0500

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:02:47 EST, Alerta Redsegura <alerta () redsegura com>  said:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

Please note that this has gotten out of context in the last 60 years or so.  At the
time, "computer" meant "one of a kind system far beyond the normally available
technology"...

At the time, IBM was already a major manufacturer of mechanical sorting and
tabulating equipment, and what Watson meant was "There's a world market for 5
of what we now call supercomputers".  He'd seen the price tags for the R&D that
was being done, and knew to within a few dollars what that class of high-end
machine would run, and how many sites would have that sort of budget.

60 years later, there's still only a market for 5-20 of these - IBM has sold a
few ASCI-class systems, but only in the single-digits.  And they're happy with
that, because nobody else is selling in double-digits in that arena either.