Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Ancient Trivia: +++ath0

From: "Cowles, Robert D." <rdc () slac stanford edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:11:10 -0800

The version I heard went something like:

Hayes implemented a "guard" ... they required a pause
between the "+++" and the following command. When
other manufacturers implemented the command set,
they had to make some small changes so they could
claim they hadn't *completely* ripped off the Hayes
command set ... they left out the requirement for
the pause.  So, on lots of non-Hayes modems, you could
get them to hang up by just sending that string as data
(or including it as data in a ping packet).

Bob Cowles