Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps? Copy Win98!

From: "Random Letters" <randomisedletters () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:10:32 +0000

Using the built-in firewall stops incoming hacks pretty effectively in my experience.

Perhaps Microsoft can win back some friends and good coverage by releaseing XP SP2 as a new integrated product and as an add-on disk the same as they did for Windows '98.

Hey, if I can have an idiot-proof way of installing just the fixes for
the RPC problems on Windows before attaching to the network, I'll be
that much farther ahead.

I sometimes forget to download the patches from behind the firewall or
to use the install CDs that have the patches added...  Then it takes
three times longer to rebuild the machine.  And, of course, the only
reason I'm rebuilding it is because the machine was loaded with malware
anyway...

I've been a lot better about this lately, but I still think it's kind of
absurd that I can't plug a freshly rebuilt Windows XP machine into the
network.  You'd think that Microsoft would at least make an official
release of Windows XP.1 or something like that to address this totally
absurd problem with their software.

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html