Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

From: "Stuart Fox (DSL AK)" <StuartF () datacom co nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:45:36 +1300

Come on Microsoft. How about putting together a single file
that contains all the "critical" security updates since the
last service pack for a given OS?

How about every time they release a fix, they also release a rollup, so you
can either download the individual fix, or all the fixes up to that point?

Who knows, perhaps then we'd get sensible
results out of MBSA?

Is it just me, or does the idea of having to have the Remote Registry
Service running to use the MBSA really annoy everyone else as well?

I use kickstart and the genhdlist package with Red Hat to
ensure that any installed system has all the updates
installed on the first boot after installation. Why then does
Windows have to lag so far behind?

A combination of SMS & SUS can provide almost the same thing, but having to
put SMS in isn't really desirable.

Cheers

Stu

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.