Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Counter-Attacking hackers? Is this really a good idea?

From: "DAN MORRILL" <dan_20407 () msn com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:45:41 +0000

It is interesting that this has come up.

Currently there are a number of folks considering an idea called "active defense" which is basically hacking the hackers. There have been a number of legal viewpoints on this from basically no, to a "tresspass" issue where in tresspass it is ok to then do what you need to do. There is interest from my knowledge only in this from the city/state/federal level because of critical infrastructure. IE If the hacker is owning your 911 system, then you have to take them out to get control of the 911 system back.

Admitted, keeping up to date on patches (regardless of OS), keeping in the loop in general is a good thing. But there are interesting papers on "active defense", and this has been circulating for more than a year that I am aware of. I was not aware that someone had made any progress on a technology other than policy/procedure.

Thanks for the info, liked this thread.
r/
Dan