Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: When do exploits get used?

From: Luke Scharf <lscharf () aoe vt edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:42:44 -0500

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 17:13, Jay Beale wrote:
Patching isn't really 90%.  It seems like that because organizations
still aren't keeping up with patches and thus don't know what would have
happened if they had.  It seems like that because we're not getting
caught in the first two parts of our windows of vulnerability that often
just yet.  If a worm comes out in time window 1 or 2, your 1-hour patch
turnaround won't save you.

My point is that if one forgets the fundamentals, all of the
firewalling, GPO setups, nifty scripts, and other work is useless.

What good is your firewall if you forgot to patch it and it's being
controlled from outside? :-)

-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html