Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PIX vs CheckPoint

From: John Kinsella <jlk () thrashyour com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:18:19 -0700

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:24:05PM -0500, Darkslaker wrote:
i am studying for the CCSA and my Friend for CSPFA in the interchange of
ideas we did not find differences significant; maybe two ; PIX run in OS
for CISCO and CheckPoint in many platforms;  and checkPoit have more
products.
My question is PIX or Checkpoint what is better and why.

I think one good point which hasn't been brought up yet is if you need
to manage security at one or many enforcement points - Checkpoint scales
much nicer for centralized management across multiple management points
(or multiple companies for MSPs) with FW-1 and P-1 than anything I've
seen from Cisco.

Personally I was scarred by some bugs in various 5.x versions of PIX
software.

(oh and to echo the point of another person, PLEASE, for the love of
(insert 1+ diety) do not run a firewall on a Windows OS)

John

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html