Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wanted: Sasser executable and derivatives

From: Steve Kudlak <chromazine () sbcglobal net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:38:25 -0700

I look at what my antivirus things catch and what sentinare catches on
my formal account. Sentinare is pretty good with all this stuff. I have
not seen Sasser. I have seen Swen and BAGLE and IRCBOT.
The IRCBots stopped when I turnd off sharing on pretty much everything.
I was sharing files between my main Win2k machine and the virtua;
Red Hat Linux I have been working with.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

James Riden wrote:

Syke <syke () mantissecurity net> writes:

 Wouldn't it be easier to use honeyd(www.honeyd.org) with an LSASS or
mydoom script? That way you can just check the logs for the binaries
that were uploaded?

Yes, because you'll get an awful lot more than Sasser if you put an
unpatched Win32 machine on the 'net. Even if you just leave off the
MS04-011 patch, you could get other things, such as Korgo and Agobot
variants IIRC.

cheers,
Jamie