Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Spam Solution

From: "Riad S. Wahby" <rsw () jfet org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:25:16 -0500

Alavan <alavan () pangeatech com> wrote:
It seems to me that if we make all MTA's register somehow (both SMTP and
POST), this would eliminate the hijacked machine as spambot phenomenon. We
already have MX records for SMTP, but a lot of providers use different
machines to receive (via SMTP) and send mail (POST). So, maybe a new DNS
record is introduced for POST. Your machine(s) could do both or not. When
your server goes to accept a message, it looks to see if the IP of the
sending machine is listed in this new DNS record. If not, return a 5XX
error.

Uhhh... isn't this just SPF?

--
Riad S. Wahby