Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: antivirus and spyware scanning

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:43:08 -0700 (PDT)

I think it is very useful to scan a windows machine
from viruses while having that machine booted to
linux.  This pretty much ensures that you will find
all the virii on that system.

Not necessarily.  You'll have to update the virus
signatures on your CD distribution prior to scanning,
and that doesn't guarantee complete coverage, either.

Does anyone know of a spyware scanner that can also
work from within Linux?  I dis-like the idea of
having to boot to windows just to scan the box for
spyware.  One could argue that the harddrive could
be put into another machine and scanned there, but
what if your in an environment where that is just
not possible (making housecalls, no unused machine,
etc)?

Also, if you know of a better solution that this, I
am always interested.

Better solution than what?  I'm not really clear on
what you're trying to do...you seem to have Windows
machines that you're interested in scanning for
viruses and spyware...why not simply use Windows apps?
 That way, you wouldn't have to boot to another os, or
remove the hard drive at all...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html