Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Visual Captchas AKA Word Verification Systems

From: "Tom K" <keetch_tw () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:45:22 +0000

hey,

I had actually heard that before. But my aim is not to bypass the image, but to solve what is essentially a Turing Test in computer vision.

Cheers, Tom Keetch

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
To: Tom K <keetch_tw () hotmail com>
CC: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Visual Captchas AKA Word Verification Systems Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:44:44 -0400

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:27:22 -0000, Tom K <keetch_tw () hotmail com>  said:

> Secondly, would it be possible if anyone could kindly supply me with a few > links to practical information on Optical Character Recognition, since I am > still trying to improve my character recognition rate which is currently at > 20-50% depending on the obfuscations applied. i.e. Grids, lines and fuzzing
> are easily removed, skewing is less so.

If you want close to 100%, just take the image you get passed, and drop it
as the "secret leet key" to get access to a free porn site, and let the users decrypt it for you. This is currently reported as a technique in active use
by spammers to work around those captchas.....
<< attach3 >>

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html