Full Disclosure mailing list archives

WinXP SP2 comments (was: Internet explorer 6 execution of arbitrary code)

From: "Chris Carlson" <chris () compucounts com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:11:22 -0400

No complaints from me.

While the new "security center" complains about how I don't have a firewall or antivirus installed (it doesn't detect
either), the better security more than makes up for this minor annoyance - I no longer need to worry about where I go
because the simple yet absolute 'no popups' and 'no software installations' security settings lock IE down so well.

A note about the security center- I *think* it can be disabled by editing the %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf file to show
the entry for it in add/remove windows components.  I've tried to do this, but it either does not have immediate
results, or does not work.  I havn't done any real research on it because of a lack of time (or perhaps patience), but
would like to know how to get rid of this if anyone knows.

I think VirtualPC and SP2 have problems coexisting, since VirtualPC has never worked properly for me (host BSOD when
starting a VM or VM BSOD while installing; comments?), but that aside I've seen no apparent problems- instability,
memory management or otherwise.

After attempting to uninstall SP2 (beta, not RC1 - all other comments are regarding RC1), many windows components
claimed I was still running SP2, while others claimed SP1.  I think this may have caused some problems when attempting
to install a second (very old) video adapter (BSOD, lockups, etc), but there's no way to be sure of it.  It appears to
just be a quark in the installer.

/c