Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Erasing a hard disk easily

From: Darren Reed <avalon () cairo anu edu au>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:57 +1000 (Australia/NSW)

In some mail from Gary E. Miller, sie said:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Darren Reed wrote:

Too bad the pc Unixes don't have a format command like Sun has had
for Solaris/SunOS....tells the hard drive to 'format' and then tests
with a number of test patterns.

You can not really force a low level format of an IDE or SCSI drive.  The
drive that appears to the OS is not the real drive, but a virtual drive
managed by the disk electronics.

The most you can do is ask the drive to format itself.  Some do a good job
and some do not.  The ones that return in seconds did not and the ones that
takes hours are doing better.

Have you ever actually used format on Solaris to format a SCSI disk ?

It's somewhat similar, I believe, to "scsictl /dev/sd0a format" on NetBSD.

I ask because your comments here make it seem like you have not...and the
lack of that experience shows in the rest of your comments, too...

Darren

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html