Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Automated SSH login attempts?

From: Jan Muenther <jan.muenther () nruns com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:42:33 +0200

Hey Valdis,

It's more likely that there's one version, making noise and very rarely finding
a box with stupid passwords.  It's possible there's another rare version that
tries several stupid passwords and a few old SSH vulnerabilities.  Is there
*any* reliable evidence (even a single box) that appears to have been nailed by
a new exploit?

Hm, as of this frauder binary, I have my strong doubts... looked at it, and
it's a plain brute forcer / banner grabber which is statically linked against
SSH-2.0-libssh-0.1. No magic visible, at least not in the given timeframe, and
my gut feeling is that that's it.

I'll gladly change my mind, but it will take somebody actually finding a
box running a *recent* SSH and had guest/test/and_so_on properly secured,
and the attack *still* got in....

I assume in the aforementioned takeovers other factors were involved.

Cheers, J.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html