Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] Re: Anti-MS drivel

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:49:20 -0600

tobias wrote:

What's the incentive to make the vendor change?  It's going
to take one
HUGE boycott to achieve that, HUGE becuase the market is
worlwide

The ultimate solution to solve this problem would be a free
market with
free competition and no entry barriers for potential competitors for
Microsoft.

We won't have to boycott, the market will decide.  In 10 years MS may not be
dead, but they will not be dominant IMHO.  The tide turned the day Novell
bought Suse.  The only thing Linux lacked for the enterprise was enterprise
level support and Novell just gave it that.  And we in security have always
known that Netware was not only the best networking OS around, but also the
most secure.  When admins come to realize they will patch once or twice a
year, how much work they will save, I believe Novell share will grow
dramatically, in both Netware and Linux.

Apply liability laws to software and IT products in general.

Liability laws do apply, unfortunately we sell our soul and give up all
rights when we scroll down and hit F8.

And let's face it, many of the folks on this and other
lists that buy a
PC, wipe windows and install a *bsd or linux/*nix clone, are still
contributing to the redmond  bottom line of their big buck,
cause most
those PC's come pre-installed with a M$ OS underneath.

The cheapest PC HP/Compaq carries is a box running Linux.  Again the market.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html