Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Nortons Liveupdate - problem?

From: "Joshua Levitsky" <jlevitsk () joshie com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:58:36 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Nortons Liveupdate - problem?

Well, if you read the letter I posted, it was obviously not aimed at
corporate America, UK, Canada or even Australia. It was actually for the
benefit of most of the world from home user to medium business and others,
some who dont know how to set up a server and some who dont want to yet have
30 or so lans in workgroups etc. That isnt big.

Umm... I was simply clarifying in case anyone came to wonder if the corp edition might be subject to the same problem. G-d forbid anyone should try to be fucking helpful.

It was just a warning for heck's sake. I have noticed in 3 different
locations that damed Symantec Update, since the day of the redirection
debacle, hadnt AUTO updated though set to do so. A MANUAL update later and
it now all auto updates perfectly but it takes intervention.

And all I was saying was it didn't apply to Corp Edition in an effort to make your warning more specific.

Surely you realise that if this is happening elsewhere in the world, it was
a worthwhile warning?

And yes it is worthwhile. However this nonsense on FD is not needed. All I was trying to do was to give another detail to your report.

Eg, 3 different locations, Nortons 2000, 2002 and 2004 and they ALL do the
same thing from the exact same date? You don't think that may mean it is
happening on a much broader scale? Previous to that date, all were working
flawlessly.

Well actually it is possible for a coincidence like that to happen. I think they probably are related. Silly me. I was just trying to point out that the problem wasn't on the CE side so perhaps it's the scheduler that has a flaw. See rather than just put out a warning that something might be wrong with it... why not try to figure out what is broken and let the vendor know? Would that be so hard?

Geez even you must know SOMEONE with Nortons AV on a home computer somewhere
who may fall foul of Bagle, for example, simply because they aren't that
computer literate and their AV didn't update (if what I suspect is correct)?

Holy crap. Guess I've learned not to offer any help.

--
Joshua Levitsky, MCSE, CISSP
System Engineer

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.