Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Fix the broken windows by building a wall PLUS a question on encrypted file systems

From: "Daniel Sichel" <daniels () Ponderosatel com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:28:05 -0800

<snip>
I bet you would if your PC was directly connected to the Internet
without a
Hardware FW in front of it. But according to your logic it would be
un-necessary to put a firewall in front of an OS whose locks worked
properly.
<snip>

I usually don't take sides in religious wars, but as an observation, at
my last job I put up a Linux based DNS and mail server unfirewalled.
Within 3 days, it was streaming porn for some guy in Brazil. I replaced
it with an Open BSD server, which I created with almost no knowledge of
Bind, qmail or Open BSD, and it is still up today, three years later,
unmolested. So, there is something to be said for secure OSes.

In a related area. Does anyone know a good product for Winblows 2000 to
create an encrypted file system in an active directory environment? I am
looking for something off the shelf, that will be user transparent. If
possible, I would like to avoid creating a PKI (and if you have a Holy
Grail laying around, I'll take that too). Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Dan Sichel, Network Engineer
Ponderosa Telephone Company
(559) 868-6367