Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:28:23 -0500

I run a NAT router box at my house which acts as a hardware firewall for my
home LAN.  It protects me from the following problems:

   - Messenger popup spam
   - RPC worms
   - Accidentally sharing a disk directory with the world
   - Future security holes in the Windows networking software

This type of firewall seems like a bargain to me.  I would use one of these
router boxes even it I had only one computer to connect to the Internet.

Richard