Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ftp worm ?

From: Robert Perriero <perrieror1 () mail montclair edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:18:38 -0500

I would be willing to bet that this is a modified "pub scanner". Similar to the apache exploit posted, it appears as if it attempts to connect to machines using known user accounts and passwords. It probably isn't a worm, but rather someone behind a keyboard attempting to find a place to store warez.
-Bob

Mike Tancsa wrote:

I have been noticing a flood of ftp attempts to various servers on our network recently. Its typically from some dialup / dynamic IP and it tries to ftp in to one of my machines as fast as it can with as many connections as possible using a fixed ranges of usernames

e.g. in a 2hr period,

grep "FTP LOGIN FAILED" /var/log/authentic | awk '{print $11}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
 293 manager
 290 public
 289 private
 286 default
 262 security
 237 1234qwer
 218 123qwe
 214 user
 213 super
 209 123456
 197 000000
 192 Internet
 156 abcd
 143 abc123
 115 abc
 106 1234567
 104 123abc
 102 88888888
  95 password
  93 asdfgh
  88 computer
  84 5201314
  83 00000000
  79 !@#$%^&*()
  77 654321
  76 888888
  73 123asd
  71 11111
  71 !@#$%^&*
  68 passwd
  64 !@#$%^&*(
  61 111111
  58 asdf
  57 sql
  57 database
  51 111
  49 !@#$%
  45 pass
  45 !@#$
  43 54321
  42 server
  42 !@#$%^
  35 sybase
  34 oracle
  34 12345678
  34 1
  31 secret
  27 test
  27 11111111
  18 admin
  15 anyone

This looks a lot like http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/muma.shtml but I have not been able to find a description/variant that uses ftp. Is this a new version of muma ? Or just some worm / virus that uses the same list of users.
Mike Tancsa,                                        tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                   mike () sentex net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada              www.sentex.net/mike

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html