Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re:Proposal: how to notify owners of compromised PC's

From: Thomas Zangl - Mobil <mobil () tzi dhs org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:19:08 +0100

Am Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:30:46 +0100, schrieb "Erik van Straten" <emvs.fd.3FB4D11C () cpo tn tudelft nl>:

Hi,

If major sites like Google, MSN etc. would query rapid DSL and dialup
blacklists, they could visually inform the visitor that their PC is
listed (+ inform them what to do, direct them to online AV etc).

Bad idea! Think about all those hosts listed in a RBL and the users can´t
do anything about it? Especially dailup/dsl users with dynamic IP´s. So,
I see a warning that my IP is blacklisted because of some idiot spamming
around with my current IP hours ago?

A working solution (practiced at the TU Graz / Austria) would be an open
mail relay for every user in the ISPs address space and block all outgoing
connections to port 25. The users will be forced to use the ISPs relay and
can´t send out virii/[apply your favorite filter rule here] etc...

My 2 cents ;)
--
,yours Thomas Zangl -thomas () tzi dhs org- -TZ1-6BONE-
-http://tzi.dhs.org - http://www.borg-kindberg.ac.at

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html