Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ASN.1 telephony critical infrastructure warning - VOIP

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:22:54 -0500

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:27:54 +0100, jan.muenther () nruns com said:

I don't want to take this discussion too far, but I really wonder why
everybody focuses on worms - as if the threat a dedicated and targeted
attack poses was any lower...

We don't see dedicated and targeted attacks at 4 million cablemodem users
designed to drop off trojans, ddos zombies, and similar.

Many of the worst "dedicated and targeted attacks" of late presuppose the
presence of a zombie net - preventing the formation of such a net then makes
the attack a lot harder to carry out.

And for that matter, installation of a keystroke logger to sniff out credit card
numbers *IS* a dedicated and targeted attack - on the credit card system.