Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Removing FIred admins

From: "Volker Tanger" <volker.tanger () detewe de>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:50:45 +0100

Hi!

We are working on something called "The Button", which is nothing but
small script that activates a series of scripts that change all root,
local and domain administrator passwords on our Unix and Windows
servers when run.

The ex-admin had ROOT access to "his" servers, right? So he can change
ANYTHING, right? Including the script, e.g. like NOT changing passwords
or adding secret admin-level accounts, right?

You said "script", so it uses BASH, PERL or something. ROOT can change
anything, right? So he could have changed the BASH, PERL interpreter or
something, right?

There is no technical solution to a social problem - well, except in
this case maybe reformatting the disks and reinstalling from scratch
and clean media.

Sorry

Volker Tanger
ITK-Security