Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Re: <to various comments>EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 ...

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eeye com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:55:51 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Eckman [mailto:eckman () umn edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:46 AM
To: Drew Copley
Cc: Paul Tinsley; full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Re: Re: <to various
comments>EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 ...

Drew Copley wrote:
<mass snippage>
But, it turns out, that the guys
who can write exploit code also can reverse engineer patches...
</mass snippage>

You said it all in that sentence. No other commentary was
necesary to make your point.

Besides reading exploit code (if such code were released,
which it was not), I'd imagine (as you mention) reverse
engineering the patch and/or sniffing the network traffic of
your (or another) scanner in action would be much more
productive methods of determining how to write an exploit
than your advisory was.

These things are true, though in this kind of argument really I am just
presenting evidence for the audience... Realizing that I am as if
talking to a stone for rhetorical purposes.

In some cases looking at the scanner output could help someone create an
exploit, in some cases this would not be the case. In this latest
case... There are multiple potential avenues of attacks... And what is
right for the goose is not for the gander.

Brian
--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html