Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 Library Bit String Heap Corruption

From: "Geo." <geoincidents () getinfo org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:54:25 -0500

Resolution of vulnerabilities is not the same thing as technical detail
_disclosure_ of details about the vulnerability.<<

Ok they are not the same but it is the _details_ that are important, we
aren't taking about point and click PoC code, we are talking about details
of the flaw. This is a library function, so how do you know what else it
might affect or if other libraries on other OS may have the same (remember
POD?) sort of issues?

But full detail bulletins should lag the initial release of the patch by
some number of weeks/months.<<

But then nobody else who has a similar product or uses the same library but
maybe not the specific function can tell if their product also requires an
update, so you want to set them back by a number of weeks/months? You are
assuming that a vulnerability affects only one vendor but by doing so you
may be slowing down the release of patches for other products can also be
affected.

As far as Eeye having a stockpile of Microsoft vulnerabilities and I
would assume lab code that can exersize them, doesn't bother me as much<<

If you were in competition with Microsoft on some Windows product, would
Microsoft constantly having multiple backdoors to any of your systems worry
you?

Geo.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html