Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 435-1] New mpg123 packages fix heap overflow

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () debian org>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:45:39 -0800

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:00:43PM +0100, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:

* On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:49:07AM -0800 Gregory A. Gilliss wrote:

On or about 2004.02.06 10:14:39 +0000,
debian-security-announce () lists debian org
(debian-security-announce () lists debian org) said:

A vulnerability was discovered in mpg123, a command-line mp3 player,
                                      ^^^^^^
whereby a response from a remote HTTP server could overflow a buffer
allocated on the heap, potentially permitting execution of arbitrary
code with the privileges of the user invoking mpg123.  In order for
this vulnerability to be exploited, mpg321 would need to request an
                                        ^^^^^^
mp3 stream from a malicious remote server via HTTP.

WHich is it - mpg123 or mpg321?

Looking at the bug reports for both
mp321: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=mpg321
mp123: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=mpg123

it seems that is is really mpg123 that is affected:

- if I don't misunderstand the bug reports.

Anyway, the original advisory would have to be more precise on the
package name.

As I thought was clear from the Subject, the Package heading, the names of
the updated packages, etc., the updated package is mpg123.  The one
occurrence of the string "mpg321" in the text of the advisory was a data
entry error.

--
 - mdz

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.