Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Oracle Database 9ir2 Interval Conversion Functions Buffer Overflow

From: Cesar <cesarc56 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:13:37 -0800 (PST)

Don't worry, Oracle sucks, probably they won't say
anything.

Just to clarify(oh my god, i feel sorry about Oracle
users, it's a pain in the ass to find the correct
patches, to install them, etc.) the patch that fix
these vulnerabilities is Patch 3 from January 2 it
goes on top of Patchset 3 (9.2.0.4). If you (all
people) don't understand don't worry i also don't
understand much this Oracle patch stuff:), but if you
are paying to get the patches and support then it
should be easy, shouldn't be?

Cesar.
--- Chris Anley <chris () ngssoftware com> wrote:
Hey Chris.

Hey Cesar.

First of all, your advisories are a bit wrong:
...Systems Affected:        Oracle 9 prior to 9.2.0.3

Actually Systems affected are Oracle 9 prior to
9.2.0.4 (Patchset 3).

The date in Metalink site of the Patch that fixes
these vulnerabilities is January 2 and your
advisories
are from December.

I could be wrong, Oracle patches numeration,
dates,
etc. really sucks, but you could be wrong too as
the
version of Oracle your advisory said it was
affected
:).

Interesting. The information we had direct from
Oracle was that
these issues were fixed in 9.2.0.3. Perhaps Oracle
could resolve the
discrepancy? I'm willing to believe that either, or
neither of
us is right :o)

The fact is that i contacted Oracle before the fix
was
available, they released the fix and they didn't
told
me anything, they didn't released any public alert
and
your advisory isn't in any public list, it's only
on
your site. Finally, given that the date of the
patch
that fixes these vulns is January 2, you published
the
advisories in your site before the fix was
available.
Again i could be wrong.

As I say, we had definitive information from Oracle
that the issues were
fixed in 9.2.0.3; we've heard nothing to the
contrary from Oracle or
anyone else up until your post. So it would be good
to get to the
bottom of this; there's definitely a communication
breakdown somewhere.

BTW: i'm curious, Why you didn't posted those
advisories to public mailing lists?

As far as we were concerned, these were old bugs. If
current versions
aren't affected, or if the bugs are of low severity,
we tend not to issue
advisories to mailing lists.

     -chris.