Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

From: "Jos Osborne" <Jos () meltemi co uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:42:27 -0000

My oldest hack was in the '80s when I was at school. We had a network of BBC Masters and Micros set up and a friend and
I managed to work out how to pull the really annoying music out of a game he had, save it to the shared hard drive and
remotely order every machine to load up and play it...
The resulting cacophony was my first lesson in serial access issues - each machine had to wait to load the song from
the hard drive, then played it immediately.  Version 2, which gave them a few seconds to all catch up was better. And
it included the ability to lock out the keyboard too.
Of course, the number of pupils who knew enough to do that sort of thing could be counted on the fingers of one hand,
so we didn't get away with it for long.

Jos

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html