Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] RE: What's wrong with this picture?

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:06:53 -0600

Replugge wrote:

 The fact that exploit code is made available after the patch
is released,
is probably because the researchers
Made the vulnerability publicly available at same time as the
patch was
released, otherwise MS wouldnt give
Credit to the researchers for the vuln.

Not only that, but I have always suspected the reason for the close
follow-up releasing exploits after patch release is because the value of the
0-day that had been used for whatever purposes the writer wanted was now
null.  At that point, her pride takes over and she releases her work for the
world to see.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html