Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Empty emails?

From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr () eclipsed net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:55:46 -0500

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:40:51PM -0700, James Lay wrote:
What's interesting is that the To: undisclosed-recipients:; line is tagged
only by my exchange server.  It looks like just as some people have
said...looks like it's spammers trying to verify the email address.  But
they send via BCC...with BCC there simply isn't a To: line (least not the
ones I tested).  I've looked at blocking via postfix, but no go.  What I MAY
be able to do is use anomy tools to do a double-check..IE:

Huh?

You think that spammers actually fill out the fields you're used to
seeing in a MUA? Those are cute and all, but they've got nothing to
do with SMTP.

They're just doing this:

MAIL FROM: <BS>
RCPT TO: <your@email.address>
DATA

.

Why bother being polite and sending headers for the MUA to read if
you're spamming anyway?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr () eclipsed net