Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows SP2 firewall: Famous for 3 seconds?

From: Darren Reed <avalon () caligula anu edu au>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:08:37 +1100 (Australia/ACT)

In some mail from Sebastian Niehaus, sie said:

[...]

| What existing functionality is changing in Service Pack 2 for Windows
| XP?
|

| Enhanced multicast and broadcast support
|
| Detailed description
|
| Multicast and broadcast network traffic differ from unicast traffic
| because the response comes from an unknown host. As such, stateful
| filtering prevents the response from being accepted. This stops a
| number of scenarios from working, ranging from streaming media to
| discovery.
|

| To enable these scenarios, Windows Firewall will allow a unicast
| response for 3 seconds from any source address on the same port from
| which the multicast or broadcast traffic originated.

Sounds like a broken concept, as always. Eh?

Not necessarily.  Details are always in the implementation (and I think
that description is likely worded wrongly.)

This has much bigger significance for IPv6 where ARP messages have been
replaced with ICMPv6 messages.

Darren

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html