Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MyDoom.f binary string

From: Jason Brewer <fulldisclosure99 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:58:27 -0600

SMTP monitoring tests using the previous binary string were unsuccessful.

This string resulted positive in all SMTP tests (not the virus itself, but sending emails w/ the an infected ZIP attached).
52 71 67 4E 64 65 42 4F 76 33 4F 71 4A 45 46 30

The previous tests involved SMB (copying the file to a network share).. The packet sizes evidently ended smaller with SMTP and my original string got split over two packets.

So.. I have no idea if either string will match when the virus tries to copy over port 3127 (the only untested protocol), but I have rules with both strings setup and waiting patiently.

Jason Brewer wrote:

> I was able to get my hands on two copies of the virus.. They are
> slightly different
> in size and definitely have different md5sums.
>

> I created a couple of signatures using this string that matched in both
> files:
>
> 25 E5 6C D1 3C 2B 44 53 A8 34 B0 C1 14 3F E4 37
>

> I'm monitoring ports 25, 135:139, 445, and 3127 with this signature to
> try and catch
> all methods of propagation.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html