Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Multiple WinXP kernel vulns can give user mode programs kernel mode privileges

From: "first last" <randnut () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:32:01 +0000

From: "Alun Jones" <alun () texis com>
Umm... yes.  And?

May I quote from the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit?

"Debug programs
"(SeDebugPrivilege)
"Allows the user to attach a debugger to any process. This privilege
provides access to sensitive and critical operating system components.
By default, this privilege is assigned to Administrators."

Where in that quote does it say that NtSystemDebugControl() doesn't check user pointers, and allows you direct hardware access? This advisory is about 2 pointer bugs in NtSystemDebugControl() and what you can do with the help of NtSystemDebugControl().

The user is also capable of injecting code into other processes of any kind,
so could install a device driver whether or not he was an administrator.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. But that's old news.