Full Disclosure mailing list archives

GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5 remote code execution

From: Feher Tamas <etomcat () freemail hu>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:50:22 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

Now all we have to do is create a BMP with bfOffBits > 2^31,
and we're in. cbSkip goes negative and the Read call clobbers
the stack with our data. See attached for proof of concept.

index.html has [img src=1.bmp] where 1.bmp contains
bfOffBits=0xEEEEEEEE plus 4k of 0x44332211.
Brings down IE5 / OE5 (tested successfully on Win98)

Kaspersky Lab's AVP (and possibly other vendors') antivirus suites now
detect the presence of this method in files by the name "Suspicion:
Exploit.IMG-BMP".

So any future worm or virus that tries to use this attack vector to inject
itself automatically should be stopped from the very first minute. Even if
it is a brand new malware.

Sincerely: Tamas Feher.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html