Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: If Lycos can attack spammer sites, can we all start doing it?

From: Ansgar Esztermann <ansgar () thphy uni-duesseldorf de>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:02:51 +0100

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:57:24AM -0000, Adam Challis wrote:
The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
(http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/1030_new.html).

Being based in Germany, wouldn't they be subject to German and EU law?

Does anybody know which German and EU laws are relevant to MLNS?

IANAL, but maybe Par. 303a StGB fits:

|Datenveränderung
|
|(1) Wer rechtswidrig Daten (§ 202a Abs. 2) löscht, unterdrückt,
|unbrauchbar macht oder verändert, wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu zwei
|Jahren oder mit Geldstrafe bestraft.

"Anyone who unlawfully deletes, suppresses, makes unusable or changes
data is subject to a prison sentence of up to two years or a fine."

Maybe a DOS counts as "suppressing data"

There is also Par. 303b:

|(1) Wer eine Datenverarbeitung, die für einen fremden Betrieb, ein
|fremdes Unternehmen oder eine Behörde von wesentlicher Bedeutung ist,
|dadurch stört, daß er
|
|  1.  eine Tat nach § 303a Abs. 1 begeht oder
|  2.  eine Datenverarbeitungsanlage oder einen Datenträger
|  zerstört, beschädigt, unbrauchbar macht, beseitigt oder
|  verändert,
|
|wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu fünf Jahren oder mit
|Geldstrafe bestraft.

"(1) Anyone who disturbs a computer system that is essential for a
company or an agency by

 1. committing a crime as set forth in Par. 303a (1) or
 2. destroying, damaging, making unusable, taking away, or changing a
 computer system or media [for data storage]

is subject to a prison sentence of up to five years or a fine."

In a way, a DOS attack does make a computer system unusable.
But then again, I don't know how a lawyer (or a judge) would see these
things.

BTW, in both cases, the attempt is also subject to punishment.

A.

--
Ansgar Esztermann
Researcher & Sysadmin