Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Possible apache2/php 4.3.9 worm

From: Pamela Patterson <ppatters () cbnco com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:34:18 -0500

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 10:32, Alex Schultz wrote:
Some of the sites I administer were alledgedly hit by a worm last night.
It overwrote all .php/.html files that were owner writable and owned by
apache.  The worm put the following html in place of what was there:
 <HTML>
 <HEAD>
 <TITLE>This site is defaced!!!</TITLE>
 </HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor="#000000" text="#FF0000">
<H1>This site is defaced!!!</H1>
<HR>
<ADDRESS><b>NeverEverNoSanity WebWorm generation 17.</b></ADDRESS>
</BODY>
</HTML>

We were running apache 2.0.52 and php 4.3.9. Have any of you encounted
this before?  Also is there anything I should be aware of such as a
possible binary that may have been dropped?  Could this have been
accomplised by the upload path traversal vulnerability?  Google returns
nothing.

It seems to be a worm exploiting a recent hole in PhPBB.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&threadm=nrWdna_Pae7yNlrcRVn-gw%40comcast.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3DnrWdna_Pae7yNlrcRVn-gw%2540comcast.com

--
Pamela Patterson, B.Eng, GCFA
Senior Systems Administrator