Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Advisory] Mozilla Products Remote Crash Vulnerability

From: Juergen Schmidt <ju () heisec de>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:59:38 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

This crash was fixed today.

Great.

This does not mean crashes will be ignored and will go unfixed. It just
means that they do not receive the urgency that exploitable crashes and
other vulnerabilities receive.

But this means, somebody (from mozilla) checked the urgency and decided,
that it can wait. It would have been nice and a minimal effort to inform
the initial reporter about that.

As a security researcher, I would think it would be your responsibility
to determine the seriousness of an issue. Just saying an app crashes
does not make a security researcher IMO. Even my mom would be able to
report a simple crash.

I do not see Niek claiming to be a security researcher. He stumbled
into something, that might be a security problem and wanted to make sure,
it is treated the right way. He first reported it to bugzilla and after
not getting a response, published the information he gathered.

What should he (or your mother) do, if mozilla is crashing on a
particular web site? Shut up? Learn how to write a buffer overflow
exploit before reporting it?

bye, ju

--
Juergen Schmidt       Chefredakteur  heise Security     www.heisec.de
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag,    Helstorferstr. 7,       D-30625 Hannover

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html