Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Electronic Voting Machines - WinVote by Adv anced Voting Solutions

From: Tremaine <tremaine () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:08:40 -0600

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:21:49 -0500, Michael Williamson
<michael () puffin tamucc edu> wrote:
Using 802.11 for anything remotely critical is outright STUPID.

FCC regulations are such that these part 15 devices (802.11, cordless
phones, baby monitors) have no legal protection from interference from
licensed services (amateur radio, TV stations, etc).  If I'm running a
high powered (10-100 watt) maybe signal at 2.4 ghz for amateur radio TV
and happen to be living across the street from an election center,
they're basically screwed.  As a matter a fact, if their 802.11 is
interfering with my licensed operation, it is they who must shut down.

-Michael

Without even commenting on the "security" of WEP, it seems to me that a
massive DDOS attack against the voting machines could prevent vote tallies
from being counted in a timely manner.

Perhaps they need to invest in some of this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/wifi_wallpaper/

"British boffins have developed wallpaper that blocks Wi-Fi traffic
but still allows other wireless transmissions to pass through in a bid
to prevent unauthorised access to sensitive data via the WLAN.

Developed by UK defence company BAE Systems, the wallpaper uses
Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) sheeting, a material more commonly
found slapped on military aircraft, naval vessels and radar antennae,
New Scientist reports."

--
Tremaine
IT Security Consultant