Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Electronic Voting Machines - WinVote by Advanced Voting Solutions

From: marchany () vt edu
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:40:56 -0400

Our county has approved the purchase of these machines for the upcoming
election. I looked them up on the www and found that the Windows-based voting
machines use WEP to ensure the security of the wireless transmissions of the
machines to a central site.

Without even commenting on the "security" of WEP, it seems to me that a
massive DDOS attack against the voting machines could prevent vote tallies
from being counted in a timely manner.

Has there been any discussion of the security of this type of voting machine
architecture?

The machine is particular is WinVote by Advanced Voting Solutions
(http://clients.enfocom.com/avs/home.html`).

        -Randy Marchany

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html