Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SP2 is killing me. Help?

From: ktabic <lists () ktabic co uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:21:40 +0000

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:33 -0300, James Tucker wrote:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:52:53 +0000, ktabic <lists () ktabic co uk> wrote:
On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 15:54 -0500, Ron DuFresne wrote:
Ahh, but this was an error on your end sir, M$ has always advised that
patching or adding apps to the system should be done with everything
closed, and in most cases users are best served to reboot and patch/add
apps prior to doing anything but logging into the system.  sure, most of
the time many of the warnings about closing other applications and such
can be ignored, but, with major patches like this, one should verge on the
order of most caution.

Hmm, ok. So you should never have anything open?
Automatic updates has the option to have it download and install the
updates in the background, while you work.
Still, I suppose never using the system would improve the stability.
Also, once this hits Window Updates (this targetted at the people
saying: read the relase notes), how many are going to?
The answer is not: 'Well they should do!!!'
For that matter, how many are even going to realise that it's a service
pack?

Once again, your response clearly shows that you are unable to read
instructions presented to you on the screen. If you are illiterate or
just plain stubborn please don't blame Microsoft for it. Your response
was written as if to be sensational but frankly it was just annoying.
"Still, I suppose never using the system would improve the stability."
was quite unnecessary.

Once again?
Maybe you should learn to read properly as well, since this is my first
post to this thread.
Oh, and that was humour, as well as being quite true as well.

When Windows Update downloads updates in the background it simply
downloads the DATA in the background. If the install will require a
reboot, or requires modules to be replaced which cannot be as they are
in use then a window will pop up with the installer wizard for that
patch. In that wizard window, the first page clearly states "please
close all running applications before continuing setup". Is this
message not clear?

Yes, yes, yes, very clever. Guess what, I knew that already. See above.
If you have quite understood, most (most, not all) of my post was
humour.

Clean windows installations will not break during SP2 upgrade. SP2 has
been tested for months now, and that testing did not cease
prematurely. Personally I have yet to see a SP2 upgrade fail, although
I am sure it happens, high complexity systems never recieve changes
gracefully in every situation; however it is not the SP which causes
the issue, but bad coding in 3rd party apps. The other most common
problem is the one responded to above where you "computer experts"
simply refuse to read the instructions put in front of them, out of
either impatience or arrogance. Frankly that's ridiculous. Learn to
RTFM.

Of course, that presumes that you have a clean install of XP to upgrade
to SP2. Many do not. Many people at home will not either.
Oh, and apparently one guy (iirc on the sans site) had problems with SP2
on to a fresh install of XP.If it's true, it's more than likly a
hardware issue, but doesn't counter the problem.

Oh, and you *nix users who claim that *nix is better, please take note
of the amount you have to read and reconfigure when a major update is
released which you choose to install. It is not as menial a task as
you try to suggest most of the time. In fact there are many updates
for alot of common *nix software which require all sorts of upgrades
all over the place. The fact that the O.S. community have no
obligation for backward compatibility actually causes a large
proportion of the software to have issues. MS has the best backward
compatability (for binaries, it does not count if you simply recompile
the app on a new os, if you dont know why then dont bother responding
to this thread) of any OS, in terms of fully featured support; and we
all know how bad theirs can be when you try and load a badly written
9x app on an xp box.

Well, when I upgrade my nix box, I don't have to modify anything, most
of the time. But that is, I will admit, unusual.
And as for backwards compatibility, OSS software generally doesn't have
to worry about backwards compatibility, the source is advailble, so most
of the time it's possible to make it work. Oh, and I find wine on linux
offers better than M$, for my needs.

For an end user upgrading to SP2 via Windows Update, for the most part
the upgrade will actually work flawlessly. The secuirty center window
will pop up explaining what is new. The firewalls default rules allow
the local subnet access to network services, when people have common
questions about "why does lan filesharing no longer work?" the answer
is available in the help. Have you ever looked in the help? It's not
as useless as you assume. End-users should be pushed to use the help
more frequently, as it does cut down on support calls. Several users
who commonly called for support have ceased ever calling except in the
most drastic of situations, and are becoming very competent Windows
users now.

I do not disagree with making users use the help more. But seeing as how
home users will have much much more varied setups than anyone, plus very
strong desires to use old programs and games, I, personally, forsee a
large amount of problems coming up. It isn't what I want, I want people
to get rid of the irritating software, but it won't happen because you,
me or Microsoft tell them to.

Please try not to be so rediculous in future. If the world was as bad
as you seem to describe then MS would not have nearly so much money as
they do.

Personally, the fact that M$, amongst others, have as much money as they
do is an indicator that the world is at least as bad as I think, and
probably exceeds that level.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html