Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: lame bitching about xpsp2

From: "Joshua Levitsky" <jlevitsk () joshie com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:52:24 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "asshole" <devis () easynix net>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 3:23 PM

asshole wrote:
So thats the reason to still give administrator rights to the default install ? Do you realise that unpatched machines get infected in a breeze because the default user has Administrator rights ?

Humm... last I installed Linux the first user I created was "root" which is actually an administrator. If you don't add any users to a Linux box then you have the same thing as "Administrator" on a Windows box. Apple has it a little more right... "root" is disabled and new users are not admins unless you check the box when creating them, and even then you sudo to do anything. Being an admin basically gives you sudo privs which leaves you protected from yourself most of the time.

So are you going to say that Linux and BSD are easy to infect because "root" is on them as the first account? Or I guess since they are UID 0 then I guess they are even before the first account :)

(oh and since you were a dick I deleted my sig from this reply so you wouldn't attack my sig when you had nothing productive to say... fucking asshole.)

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html