Full Disclosure mailing list archives

XP hangs on startup - no safemode options help !

From: "Billy Bob" <billybobknob () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:05:02 +0000

I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that my XP Professional system and many friends XP Pro systems are hanging on startup. I have tried safemode and each system hangs on a different driver. For example one system hung on \Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb and another hung on \Windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys.

I have also tried all other safemode options, including Last Known Good Configuration which only worked on one system.

All systems are up to date with Windows critical updates but no service packs are installed. All machines are also running Norton AV 2003 with up to date definitions.

I think that a recent Microsoft patch or malware of some kind may be causing this.
Has anyone else had similar problems ?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Bill

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNĀ® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html