Full Disclosure mailing list archives

(no subject) Why not?

From: "Random Letters" <randomisedletters () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:56:08 +0000

Brad Griffin wrote:

I am yet to come across a 'large' company or enterprise that uses separate brand av applications for desktop and server solutions. It makes economic and logistic sense to use one vendor for your av solution that is deployed at different levels (or layers if you prefer that terminology). About the only people I've seen use different antivirus products in one environment are home users or small businesses that misinterpret 'layers of defence' in an anti-virus context to mean 'different brands of defence'. Considering that many major av co's products are cross platform nowadays, I doubt many companies will continue using separate brand products in a mixed OS environment for much longer either.

Reply:

The last two companies I have worked for, one a Fortune 500 company, the other a smallish science company, both use multiple products.

One uses Symantec on the Windows servers and McAfee on the Windows workstations and Clam on the Linux servers and workstations.

The other uses Clam on its Linux servers and Panda on its Windows servers and workstations.

Of course, that hasn't completely stopped virus outbreaks, just because there's no way that new definitions can be rolled out quickly enough. As you might expect, Windows laptops were the main culprits. But I have seen Linux viruses and breakins as well as Windows hacks too. And please don't say that the IT wasn't doing its job. As long as you have an internet presence you are a target, and none of the products are 100% secure ... Cisco anyone?

So there you go. My two Euros worth.

Does anyone remember the AV scanner that came with MS-DOS6? Haha

   Does HoTMaiL come with a spell checker?

Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html