Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: National Database of Variants with Fixes-non-vendor specific

From: John Hall <j.hall () f5 com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:18:22 -0700

I admit that I only read the first five articles and skimmed the next
five, but *none* of the articles I looked at claimed the FBI even
admitted they had such a virus in hand and they didn't even come
close to saying the FBI ordered any of the anti-virus vendors to not
detect their keystroke logging trojan.  The more recent articles all
seem to state that all of the AV vendors repudiated early reports that
they might choose to not detect a "Magic Lantern" virus.  It would be
suicide for them to make such a decision, since once the "signature"
they used to detect and ignore the virus was known, other even less
scrupulous virus writers could possibly use it to cloak *their* viruses.

While I don't believe the government always (or even often) has my
best interests in mind, I do know that our collective interests
usually coincide for the most part.  Of course, the devil is always
in the details.

I hope you have your tinfoil hat firmly mounted and calibrated.

Thanks for the links though.  It's fun to see a poorly conceived
government fantasy get crucified in the press.

JMH

Gary E. Miller wrote:

Yo John!

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=virus+magic+lantern+anti-virus&btnG=Search

Check the first link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/27/av_vendors_split_over_fbi/

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Blvd, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
        gem () rellim com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676
--
John Hall              Test Manager - Switch Team             F5 Networks, Inc.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html