Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AV Naming Convention

From: "nobody@localhost" <spamproof () nospammail net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:52:08 -0700

Randal, Phil wrote:
I have to agree with Todd, the naming convention is now right useless for the normal population and make keeping up with viruses on a corporate level that much harder. AV companies are always trying to beat the other company and this leads to very little information sharing between the companies on new viruses, etc.

Maybe a foundation should be created. This foundation could give a seal of approval to all AV corporations that join in. We are starting to make rules for patch management over at patchmanagment.org. Why couldn't a group work with AV names and the first company that finds and IDs it correctly gets to name it in the foundation. Just a dream, I would guess.

This completely misses the point.  When a new virus is discovered, it is
essential that there is a RAPID response to the threat.  The idead of
handing the critter over to a committee to decide it's name is, quite
frankly, plain bonkers.

I think you missed some of his point, his is not saying a committee should name it, he is saying whoever gets there first gets to name it.

I for one would rather all the antivirus
vendors came up with their own names if it meant that
detection/disinfection patterns came out hour earlier.

Cheers,

Phil

----
Phil Randal
Network Engineer
Herefordshire Council
Hereford, UK

Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing, I'd like to set up a AV vendor neutral, FD style virus repository. I'd require a user cert for anyone who wants to "deposit" a new virus and the first to deposit the new virus would get to name it. It would be assigned a GUID, so that a computer friendly identifier was available.
There would be an RSS feed as well as various push feeds.
Lineage could be discussed and mapped.
Other vendors could add their names to that record with information about what virus def file name the virus first appears in.

If it turns out that more than one group submits the same virus, then those "dups" would be discarded from the db, thus encouraging AV vendors and other groups to post new viruses asap so that everyone has a chance to download them and start researching them.

Fear of the government labeling me a terrorist gives me pause though...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html