Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: MS04-025 - Ignorance is truly bliss....

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:48:48 -0400

On Thursday 05 August 2004 18:49, hellNbak allegedly wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 someone pretending to have a nmrc email addy
wrote:

<snip>

The only mistake you make above is that you paint the entire industry
with the same brush.  Yes, I and a lot of people make money in this
industry. We took a hobby and made it a job -- why not?  Why not get
paid for something you enjoy.  Working in this industry does not
automatically make you a false profit as you explain above.

Over the long term -- no one will benifet -- and I dont care how big
the paycheck is -- telling a client what they want to hear is not the
way many of us choose to make a living.  Sure, there are a lot of
people in EVERY industry that are willing to push ethics aside and do
what it takes for that paycheck but I know I can look myself in the
mirror and say that I am not one of those people.

Eventually the false prophets are exposed, sure they already got
their paycheck and have moved on to the next sucker but eventually
they run out of suckers and money.

What do you hope to achieve, or how do you believe your opinion is
being relevant or novel, if you come to this audience, and state
that CERT is no longer credible, and is a bunch of crooks who live
off selling advance vulnerability warnings? Or that Microsoft is
not exactly particularly devoted to improving security of their
products and protecting their customers?

I hoped to stir some shit up, perhaps give the guys over at
secure () microsoft com a bit of a kick in the nuts as there was a time
that they were making at least a little progress.  I was hoping to
draw enough attention to this issue that perhaps someone from one of
the major banks will one day sit down and correlate the connection
between vulnerabilities such as this and losses due to fraud.  The
only way that any vendor is going to be forced to actually care about
security and actually care about users is when those users mean lots
of $$$ to them.

There just might be some hope . . . check out this white paper from PWC
on "Integrity-Driven Performance."
http://www.cfodirect.com/cfopublic.nsf/f19696b6432afb8b8525690a000c9f67/86a39deb761f514d85256e3f00641442/$FILE/PWC_GRC_WP.pdf

(URL might wrap).  You can get it from Google if you search on
pwc_grc_wp.pdf . . .

Cheers,

/g

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.